Tuition Reimbursement

For those students receiving tuition reimbursement, the Office of the Bursar offers a term summary, available via One.IU, which summarizes the charges and credits for the term. Combined with the student's class schedule, this form allows the employer to determine the cost per class.

The term summary can be obtained at One.IU by following these steps:

  1. Search for "View/Pay Bursar Bill"
  2. At the top of the page, click the "Activity by Term" tab
  3. Choose the appropriate term and click the "PDF" button.

Short Term Loans

As a service to our campus community, students may receive an interest-free short term loan up to $750.00.

In order to qualify for a short term loan a student must:

  • Be enrolled at least half time (6 hours undergraduate or 4 hours graduate)
  • Have no past due charges and no outstanding Short Term Loan balances.
  • Be in good financial standing with the university. A loan request may be denied if the student has a history of late payments or returned checks.
  • Must have an active direct deposit account with Indiana University.
  • Must sign a Title IV release.

Application and Approval

Students wishing to obtain a Short Term Loan must complete an application, which can be found here. The application should be submitted online. Students may not have two outstanding Short Term Loans at the same time.

The application will be reviewed and the decision will be sent to the student's IU e-mail address. From the date of approval students may expect to receive Short Term Loan funds within 3-5 business days.

Repayment of Short Term Loans

Students who obtain a Short Term Loan will be expected to repay the loan by the date indicated on the next student bill.

Students who fail to pay the loan balance in full by the due date will be subject to late payment fees and an encumbrance preventing them from receiving University services to include registering and receiving transcripts.

Special Credits

Special Credits are awarded to students who have demonstrated proficiency in a particular subject, usually by either completing an assignment or taking an exam. The Special Credit replaces the requirement to take the course.

At the time the credit is awarded, the awarding department will initiate an electronic special credit request. The electronic request will be presented to the appropriate departments for assessment (as documented below) and approval. Once approved by all departments, then student will receive electronic notification.

Assessment Of Fees

If the student demonstrates proficiency in some way other than taking an exam (usually by completing a portfolio or other assignment), the credit is awarded by credentials or experience and a charge of $20.00 per credit hour will be assessed (to a maximum of $100.00 per course).

If the student demonstrates proficiency by taking an exam:

  • ...and the application is processed for new students within the first two semesters following initial matriculation (regardless of campus), there will be no charges assessed.
  • ...and the application is for a first semester transfer student, a charge of $20.00 per credit hour will be assessed.
  • ...if neither of the above apply, the special credit as a result of examination be assessed the current credit hour rate based on the student's academic program and residency status

Audit Fees

(Equal to ALL quoted credit hour rates listed on the Master Fee Listing).

To audit a course for record, you must present an audit form from your school or division to the Office of the Registrar. No grades or credits are received for audits. If a course is changed from credit to audit after the first week of classes, a late program change fee will be assessed. For more information or to obtain an audit form visit

Hold release requests-financial aid

Students who have a past due balance that is restricting enrollment who also receive financial aid may have the option to use their financial aid refund to help pay off the past due balance and remove the enrollment encumbrance. If you have not discussed this option with a Bursar or Financial Aid representative, please contact the Bursar Office at (317) 274-2451 or to discuss whether this is a good option for you. If you have already discussed with a Bursar or Financial Aid representative and were advised that this may be an option for you, please fill out the form below. You should expect a response within 3 business days.

Financial Aid Hold Release Request

Ask the Bursar

Especially for...

Quick Links